Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Gender sensitivity and Bhuvi

Bhuvi is my 6 year old niece. She introduced a new game of 'make believe grinding'. We were sitting on the bed and we dutifully did the motion of grinding for a while (traditional Indian way where the right hand makes a big circle on the ground and with left hand grains are put into the small slot). I tried to talk to her and this conversation followed.

Me: Bhuviamma what are you grinding?
(I was playing my childhood game of 'acting like adults')

Bhuvi: What are YOU grinding?

(obviously she had not played this game before)

Me: I am grinding for Idli
(After I said this, I became aware of the gendered conversation I was building where women were sitting and doing all the work etc. etc. and I asked her kicking myself inwardly)

Me: What are you grinding?

Bhuvi: She took a pause and I thought 'oh no she is going to say Dosa now'.
After the pause, she said ....

'I am grinding WORMS'

Whew the damage was not done :-)

No comments: