Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Friday, June 14, 2013

Tripping on Monsoon


It has started to rain in Bhopal and there are bird calls every where and mating of crickets in the balcony ..

Crickets remind me of my summer vacations in Alampur. As children we were familiar with the loud periodic noise coming from various wet corners of the house, either from bathroom or from under the earthen pot row which had wet sand under it. Ammamma used to bury ginger pods in the wet sand and it used to grow and be fresh. As an aside, my ammamma was a goddess and she could do any thing with any thing!! shhhhh 

I did not know the size of the insect and its Telugu name 'keechu raayi' sounded ominous like 'Keechaka' or 'pisachi' which were names of Rakshasas or scary ghosts.

I remember the surprise I felt when I saw how small an insect it was in comparison to the high volume of the sound it produced. It was vibrating its being to send it out. If at all I can do some thing like that then may be extra terrestrials can hear my call!

I came to know later that it is a mating call sent out to attract the female of the species. I wonder how we would have fared if patriarchy did not operate in our societies... how would our men be? What sounds or songs they would have perfected, what other skills might have come up... since blood and gore is something females intuitively do not appreciate, may be we would have had nimble men gyrating their hips in dance with colourful costumes and what not...

I for one would not mind a cacophony of colourful men preening and strutting their stuff for a change :) 

6 comments:

Venky said...

Screechhhhhh screeschhhhhh....tutut kukukuku...... !! :O

(imagine with gyrating, colourful clothes.... and what nots. Ofcourse not any name like rakshasas or ghosts. Lovely post kane, i liked the whole idea of sand under the pot to keep water cool and ginger in it!!!

Aparna Kalley said...

Hee hee Venky ;) since you also did the gyrating and the strutting the stuff after reading the post, what can I say - I agree to be your mate heh heh

Arpita said...

Now thats a pretty picture to imagine :D Actually when I look at all the gyrating dancer men carved on our temples one wonders what happened..

Unknown said...

your write-ups are getting more and more beautiful aparna...it is a joy to read them...as for gyrating, i am using samu's presence here to shake me up with all kinds of physical activities...swimming, walking, treadmill, bicycle and what not...will go to b'lore and learn some dance with nakula ;)

Aparna Kalley said...

Arpita: Thanks dear :) it is a pity that we do not have male courtesans!!

Annayya: Thank you :) I am so glad you are getting ready for perfecting your moves ;)

Krupa said...

So visual!