Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dubai Millennium Airport Hotel:

9 November 2008-11-09

Time: 6.50 pm (Dubai time of course)

Guess what! My first ever international flight was delayed by two hours and I missed my connecting flight to Cape Town by arriving an hour late than the scheduled time. It also means that my luggage made its first international trip without hitches. Lucky cottons! Bet you will be there to meet me 

I was sleeping on my feet when the flight was finally announced in Bangalore. I was proud of myself for fighting my demons. There was a compassionate doctor from London who told me to plug my ears and see the effect it has on my nerves during take off. God bless her sweet soul it was dramatic.
But several things I noticed during my flight…..
Indian hostesses were a bit reluctant to attend to Indian commuters
Frozen breakfast – Though looked good, chilled my fingers and what is the big idea of eating a croissant and Parathas with channa masala for breakfast. Yes I know I am a bit stuck up on my food preferences .. anything above room temperature is fine I think.

More or less everybody who took the Bangalore Dubai flight was stranded for the day. I met a woman who was flying for the first time to meet her son’s family in US. There was a busy guy from UNDP who made his busyness very vocal and now I know that he is going to Switzerland and next week he will go to Ghana. He tried to chat up and I was relieved to have some social contact (Human beings – we suck at being on our own all the time!). We realized that we both need to be at the airport next day more or less at the same time. And then he asked casually whether I want to have some coffee. I clammed up immediately and Sridevi’s tear streaked face in ‘Gumrahh” came into my mind (Please trust me, I am innocent, pleaase). So I told him that I need to sleep and then told him that I will see him around and scooted off to my room. (to check how safe it is for me to stay alone!)

The room I am given is a spacious and luxurious double room with all the works. (Oh Venky, I miss you). I was sitting in the restaurant eating ‘Spinach lasagna, rice with vegetable stew and fresh fruit salad (it was organized in fruit shaped expensive crystal bowls seated in ice bed with lighting in strategic places which made it look like fruits from heaven) and I was thinking of the image people might be making of me. I wanted them to think of me as this ‘jet setting busy body of a woman who knows what exactly to eat in their hotel’. But, may be I was looking a bit lost and tired to give that impression (especially not in my wrinkly dress and pink shoes).

I have never looked forward to fly before but right now I am hoping and praying that I will soon fly and be in Cape Town with my fellow feminists from all over the world. Long live pink shoes and purple clothes.

I am trying to watch TV and on offer are music channels from India, one Hollywood film channel (Dubai One) and other Arabic ones. (never did a film promo generate such an effect as today – ‘You think World is a safe place, think AGAIN).

I feel like I am ‘pasted on’ to a travel brochure of Dubai. But, very interesting to be in it right now (no choice here!).

1 comment:

Chin said...

Ha ha! Loved the Gumraah shot in Dubai! Imagined it all Ally Mc Beal style!